Thursday, May 18, 2006

Separation of Church and State?

By now most know about the legal battle being waged over the Mt. Soledad Cross, in La Jolla California.

I can see the cross from my house, and go up to Mt. S often, especially when I have out of town guests, the view is spectacular and the new War Memorial is very well done. It's nice to take a moment, in such a beautiful place to remember those who served this country.

Now, that being said, I am agnostic at best, so, you'd think that I would support the dude who's been fighting for 17 years to have the cross removed. I don't. But I know a lost cause when I see it.

This man, in his war against the cross, has cost this county so much money, time and effort that it's ridiculous. The voters overwhelmingly support keeping the cross, but, the cross violates the law. He says he speaks for agnostics and athiests everywhere, but, he doesn't speak for me, because when I'm up on Mt. S, I am looking at the view, not the butt ugly cross. (And it is ugly, it has no architectural value whatsoever.)

And now Jerry Sanders, our new Mayor, is asking for federal help in this case. MORE MONEY.

To me this case is not about seperation of church and state, it's about one little ass, who has nothing better to do, against the vast majority of voters. What a waste of money. Don't we have wetlands that need restoring???????

Unfortunately, people need to realize it's time to give up the fight. This little atheist guy will not stop and the cross itself is just not worth it. Put up a Torrey pine, or a massive flag pole and be done with it. And stop spending MY money on a lost cause.

blog comments powered by Disqus