Sunday, February 04, 2007

Nigga Please: Part Duex-Super Bowl Edition


Like most sane people in America, I am now watching the Superbowl.

So of Coors, am watching the commercials as well.

I know it's black history month and all, and I know the two coaches of the Bowl teams are black. But frankly, I'd have not cared had no one made a big ass deal out of it. Instead I would have thought,"Wow there's two lucky ass coaches to be there". Luck being this season what it seemed to take to win seeing as the Chargers were the best team in the NFL.

But I digress. So there's this one commercial (of several of the same bent but this one sticks out)where a bunch of people are sitting around watching the game. A bunch of different people, the church people, families at home etc. I'm watching it, and not really paying attention to the people themselves.

At the end it says something like how important this Super Bowl is...especially because of the month. Black history month. Then I think oh, all the people in the commercial were black. Oh, the coaches are black. Oh.... o.k.

Here I am, whitey chick in all my whitey chick glory, and I didn't notice or care that the coaches are black. Here I sit in my white girl world and didn't think it was a big deal that two black dudes lucked out and got their teams to the Super Bowl (when it should have been L.T. and the Chargers). I just thought they were people who got their teams there.

Here I just thought on the level of people, not color. Now, who's the racist?

On a side note, why the hell couldn't Prince have sung better songs and Billy Joel choked the anthem out, made me mad. Best commercials? Not sure, a few funny ones...Bud seems to be dominating, as usual. The GM one with the little car making robot was cute.

blog comments powered by Disqus