Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Greatest Generation

rose,adlam,england,war
Tonight, or more accurately this coming morning, in England, the world lost one more of The Greatest Generation. My husband's grandmother, whom we affectionately called our Nan, or Rose, passed away in her sleep, at the ripe old age of 96.

Rose died after a valiant fight against cancer and a host of other issues that plague the old and infirm. And she fought hard all the way till the end.

She was what I call a tough broad. Over shot's of Jack, Nan told me stories of her times in "the war". Often times the stories were hilarious, other times heartbreaking, always engaging.

She was a nurse during WW2 and told me many times about what it was like living in London during the bombings, the fear, the uncertainly, the high demand for smokes.

Take some time to read this account here from another WW2 nurse in England, to get the gist of what life was like back then.

We need to never forget....as it so clearly seems we are; what our soldiers and those on the front lines do. They fought a war just as we are now,the enemy wanted the same result. This war now is truly global, and in Nan's immortal words, completely uncensored, "Fuck dem Paki bastards up the arse, would do us well to just start shooting them in the streets, innit." (Said in the most incredible cockney accent you'd have ever heard)

Couldn't agree more.

Oh Rose my dear, you were one of a kind and about the most fantastic person I'd met in my life, I thank you so much for all that you did and for being you. How truly lucky I was to have you in my life. Thank you and wherever you are I am sure they will be serving you vodka and lemonade. All my love to you Nanny Rose, all my love.

blog comments powered by Disqus