Wednesday, September 24, 2008

McCain Suspends His Campaign To Focus On Economy


Statement from John McCain:

"Tomorrow morning, I will suspend my campaign and return to Washington after speaking at the Clinton Global Initiative. I have spoken to Senator Obama and informed him of my decision and have asked him to join me.

I am calling on the President to convene a meeting with the leadership from both houses of Congress, including Senator Obama and myself. It is time for both parties to come together to solve this problem.

We must meet as Americans, not as Democrats or Republicans, and we must meet until this crisis is resolved.I am directing my campaign to work with the Obama campaign and the commission on presidential debates to delay Friday night's debate until we have taken action to address this crisis."

Already he's getting mocked, Here's David Letterman's response:
"David Letterman tells audience that McCain called him today to tell him he had to rush back to DC to deal with the economy.

Then in the middle of the taping Dave got word that McCain was, in fact just down the street being interviewed by Katie Couric. Dave even cut over to the live video of the interview, and said, "Hey Senator, can I give you a ride home?"

Earlier in the show, Dave kept saying, "You don't suspend your campaign. This doesn't smell right. This isn't the way a tested hero behaves." And he joked: "I think someone's putting something in his metamucil."

"He can't run the campaign because the economy is cratering? Fine, put in your second string quarterback, Sara Palin. Where is she?"

"What are you going to do if you're elected and things get tough? Suspend being president? We've got a guy like that now!"

Obama on the other hand says the debates should go on like Donkey Kong:
"I believe that we should continue to have the debate," Obama said. "It's my belief that this is exact time when the American people need to hear form the person who in approximately 40 days will be responsibly for dealing with this mess and I think that it is going to be part of the President’s job to deal with more than one thing at once."

My take?

It's REALLY REFRESHING to see a Senator (McCain) put his JOB that he has already been hired to do, in front of his campaign for a job he does not yet have.

Obama as usual couldn't care less. Heaven forbid he misses any face time in front of the camera, he'd go through teleprompter withdrawals.

Letterman is a tool. THIS IS exactly how a Senator SHOULD behave. They are supposed to DO THEIR JOBS. That should be priority #1.

I plan to have an after debate Blog Talk Radio show on Friday, we'll see what happens. I would like for the debates to go on as planned. But I am glad McCain finds our current mess more important than stuttering out inanities for brainwashed masses. Good for him.

blog comments powered by Disqus